2012 was an eventful year for the Goose and the GGHS! Follow the Photo story.
This page is a new addition to our website. It will contain general interest news stories and information mostly from the Galloping Goose Historical Society but also occasional news from the outside. In that regard we welcome “news” and personal stories concerning specifically the Rio Grande Southern Railroad and the area it served. We hope this page will be informative. Changes will not take place on a regular basis but hopefully often enough to keep people coming back…
You can find a history of the RGS and the Galloping Goose fleet elsewhere on this website which includes information on the restoration of Goose #5. Many individuals have, over the last several years, devoted many hundreds of hours as volunteers to keep Galloping Goose #5 in tip-top condition! Without their commitment and dedication Goose #5 would not be operating today! Maintenance is an ongoing process and takes a fair amount of skill in several areas such as painting, cleaning and of course mechanical work.
Presented below are some pictures with descriptions showing some of the work that has been done within the last few years.
The wheels have now been removed and the axle is being removed from the frame.
Inside the Differential-housing is the ring gear shown here. This particular gear was worn to the point where it had to be replaced along with the pinion gear that mates to it.
The GMC engine that powers Galloping Goose #5 has many thousands of hours of operation. It was installed in this Goose in 1947 and used until the RGS was abandoned in 1952. When this Goose was restored in 1997-98 the engine was removed and completely overhauled. Nevertheless it needs ongoing adjustments. Here Ed Latham adjusts the valves.
In 1998 the passenger seats were reupholstered because the Rattan wicker material dating from 1950 had almost completely rotted away! By 2009 the seats needed to be reupholstered again. Here Society members (and GGHS board members) Louie Vallejos (left) and Ed Latham reinstall the repaired seats.
Job finished. These seats originally came from Denver Tramway streetcars when the freight boxes of Geese numbers 3, 4, 5 and 7 were rebuilt in 1950 by the RGS into the “tourist” versions we have now.
By 2008 the original Ford driveshaft from when this Goose was built in 1933 was completely worn out! Here you see the new one just after it was installed in 2008.
The old air compressor attached to the engine has been removed and retired to the trash.
A new (rebuilt) compressor is being installed. This vital component runs off of a fan belt on the front of the engine.
Here is the completed installation. The compressor operates the air breaks and air horn.
January 27, 2012
A few months ago a gentleman by the name of Eugene (Gene) Guston came by the RGS Depot Museum in Dolores. He asked if we would be interested in having the original “order board” that hung on the RGS depot here. The answer of course was, “Absolutely, yes!” The old order board included the signal light on top, gear box and operating arm! The light needed restoration since it was pretty rusted – as was the metal cover over the gears.
Ironically, Mr. Guston said he came to the depot a few years ago and asked someone there that day if the Galloping Goose Historical Society was interested in it and was told, “No thanks!” Unbelievable! Lucky for us he checked one more time before disposing of it somewhere else! We thanked him very much for the donation!
It was Mr. Guston’s stepfather, Merton Taylor, who purchased the order board at auction when the RGS depot in Dolores was being dismantled after the railroad was abandoned in 1952. Mr. Taylor owned Taylor Hardware in Dolores and Eugene donated it in his memory. A picture of Mr. Taylor can be found on page 159 in volume VII of the R.G.S. Story (Sundance Publications).
So, even though the current building is only a replica of the original RGS Dolores depot it now has a beautiful original historic artifact attached to it!